Skip to main content

I have a green card; if I get a Oregon medical marijuana card, will this effect my ability to get citizenship? HIPPA rights?

Portland, OR |

I have seizures, depression, IBS and chronic back pain; I want to try THC muscle creams for the pain but am fearful somehow the federal government will be able to get my name off a list...although this should all be protected under HIPPA...but after what's been going on I don' t know anymore.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Theoretically it may. I would abstain for now. Why? Because federal and state law are in contradiction in those jurisdictions where they approved medical marijuana use. Immigraiton is a federal law with a lot of discretion embedded in many determinations. You do not want to play with that. For a citizen it is also a risk but not a big one. For you, use of more than 30 gr of marihuana may create an unsolvable problem. I know that 30 gr you will not have on a one time use, but it is only excused one time. Second time, it is not excused and it does not matter how much you used. Admission of use also counts not just actual conviction. I also understand that only illegal possession counts but it is still illegal everywhere under Federal law even if it is legal in OR.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


It could. Marijuana possession and use are crimes under Federal Law.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


This is not a good idea.

You talk about Australia but don't tell us your citizenship.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer