Skip to main content

I have a girl who is pregnant but when the baby born she won't allow me to see him what should I do

Henderson, NV |
Attorney answers 3


Are you sure the child is yours? If so you have rights and need to act within the proscribed period of time in NV to protect them. I urge you to contact a local family law attorney to explore your options. If you are the Father and want to assume responsibility, you should be able to see the child. Best of Luck to you.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


File a petition to establish paternity & custody NOW. The system can take a while to get through, so filing now will help you have court orders in place when the child is born. This speeds up getting a paternity test done, so if the child is yours, it also speeds up being granted custody/visitation rights. This is the only way you will get enforceable court orders. If you do nothing, the mother of the child has complete control over your access to the child, including denying you access.

Responses are for general information purposes only, and are based on the extremely limited facts given. A consultation with an attorney experienced in the area of law(s) indicated in the question is highly recommended. Information and advice given here should not be relied upon for any final action or decision, as the information is limited by its nature to the question asked and the fact(s) presented in that question. THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP, particularly considering that the names of the parties are unknown.


Beware that if she has the baby in another State, Nevada will not have jurisdiction over paternity or custody--unless she moves back to Nevada. Nevada has no power while she is pregnant to do anything (the case is not ripe, so to speak) and filing with the court now could result in a dismissal. All she has to do is have the child in California or Utah or Arizona or anywhere else, and the child custody and paternity action will have to be filed in that State because it will be the home state of the child. You may be throwing away money and effort if you file prior to the birth. You need to keep tabs on where she is so that you can be ready to file immediately. And yes, you want to establish paternity so that you are either paying child support and avoiding the accumulation of arrears (which can go back 4 years and include the costs associated with birth) or so that you can be assured the child is not yours and you owe no duty of support.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer