Skip to main content

I have a general question about citizenship?

Findlay, OH |

first of all my english isn't that good ..but i am learning. I had my citizenship interview yesterday and the examiner told me that there was missing evidence. I needed to get a certified document from my local court in order to continue my immigration case. I just got done mailing the documents today through the mail. What i am really asking is, is this going to deny my citizenship? I was convicted of a 2nd degree misdemeanor of last year. Ihit a parked car and took off and only having a permit not a valid drivers license. He told me they will decided about it and let me know through mail.
Thank You

he also told me that this will not hold against me if this is the only thing that i have caused. I gave him 3 good letters of recommendation from my teachers and he told me i was a good student ??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


This may affect the "5 year good moral character" requirement in order for you to become a US Citizen.

Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney.



Thank you for your advice!


The immigration consequences of convictions depend on the exact language of the statute under which the conviction took place.

You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, including the court disposition and the charging documents, in order to advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Yes, as stated by my colleague, this will go toward whether you have the requisite good moral character for citizenship. If you finished any sentence given (jail, probation, community service) and paid any fines will also be considered good evidence.


As soon as you have a criminal issue that intertwines with your immigration status, you really should discuss it with a lawyer before proceeding. While likely not an issue, there are twists in the immigration law that make some misdemeanors into deportable offenses. Please retain counsel.



i passed my civil test and the english portion, but yeah i should consult with an attorney thanks for the advice p.s its hard being an immigrant :(

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer