I have a friend who was charged with class D felony- Leaving scene of accident- death. He is trying to make The merit board.

Fishkill, NY |

The requirements of the merits is 1) earn a general equivalency diploma (GED), or
2) receive an alcohol and substance abuse treatment certificate, 3) or
receive a vocational trade certificate following at least six months of programming in that program, 4) or
perform 400 hours or more of service as part of a community work crew/outside assignment......
Which he doesnt qualify for the GED because he has a college degree, but for the 2 and 3 they said there is no room and they are also making it hard for him to do the 4th, which i dont completely understand. What can he do, does he have anyother options. What can he do??

Sadly, most parole cases involving death stay until the CR date.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

I assume that there may be the implication of DWI when the death occurred. DWI sentences are amont the hardest to get any consideration for, especially with a death, because of the political climate today which permeates parole boards, etc.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Marco Caviglia

Marco Caviglia

that said, contact Prisoner's Legal services who will be on top of what can be done.