Skip to main content

I have a friend who had gambled in Vegas last year and owe them around USD 1.6m. Will the casino sue him as he lives in Asia?

Las Vegas, NV |

He used markers to play and loss. How far will a casino go to get this $ back as he is in Asia? He is worried and not sure what to do and hence requesting me to post this query.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I suspect that they will do anything and everything they can to get this back. This may mean hiring counsel in your friend's backyard to sue him there if necessary.

That said, if your friend has no money or assets to pay, there is little that can be done. It may, for example, force him to file a bankruptcy, etc. But this depends on the laws where he lives.

He should consult a local lawyer as well as a Vegas lawyer to discuss his options and get a risk assessment.

Best regards,
Natoli-Lapin, LLC
(see Disclaimer)

The law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC (Home of Lantern Legal Services) offers our flat-rate legal services in the areas of business law and intellectual property to entrepreneurs, small-to-medium size businesses, independent inventors and artists across the nation and abroad. 866-871-8655 DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis of this posting.


The fact he is in another jurisdiction, doesn't make him immune from being sued. Just as with any other debt, the business will decide if it is worthwhile pursuing considering the costs and likelihood of recovery.

Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual, and no attorney-client relationship is formed with you. Our aim is to provide general principles that may be useful to the Avvo community as a whole. You should seek individual legal advice pertaining to your specific factual situation, and the laws applicable to your jurisdiction. Moore & Moore Attorneys at Law --


Yes, for 1.6 million in markers, the casino almost certainly will go after him in his home jurisdiction, unless he settles his debts.

I focus my practice on (video) gaming industry, casino gambling, and complex internet law issues, electronic free speech, entertainment law, copyright and trademark law, and computer fraud. I primarily represent game developers and founders of emergent internet technologies. The author is a Maryland attorney; however no answer given on Avvo is intended as legal advice or intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


Ignore the out of state attorneys, and read the papers.

For that much, they will sue someone on the moon, or even Pluto.

Not only will they sue them, but they will deposit the marker, and turn it over to the DA, who will initiate criminal proceedings, which will effect his ability to get future visas.

He needs competent Nevada counsel *NOW*.


Just an FYI - they can sue him in the US and serve him overseas through what is called Hague Convention service. What that means is your friend in Asia might not have a lot of time to answer once he receives the complaint, which is usually served by local law enforcement. Depending on where he lives, this also bears risks as you can well imagine.

Tell your friend it's time to lawyer up and face the music. Coming up with a payment plan before the wheels start turning is imperative.

The foregoing is not legal advice nor is it in any manner whatsoever meant to create or impute an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer