I have a friend that has a child tha he pays child support he has been paying the past 15 months but he owes back child support

Gaffney, SC |

They took his taxes last year would that be a reason the court to not give him visitation to his child?

I am sorry your friend is going through this. Support and parenting time are two separate issues. It sounds as if the support issue is being handled. There must be something else going on that is preventing his parenting time. I suggest he address that particular issue. If your friend is unable to get information, I suggest he contact a local attorney to explore his options. Good Luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

As a general rule, child support arrears are not considered when determining parenting time.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

I agree with my colleague, in that child support is generally not tied to visitation or parenting time. I can't tell from your question if the court is with holding this or you are just asking the question because he has been denied it by the mother. If he does not have a court order establishing visitation, he needs to get one. His arrearage should not prevent him from exercising his visits.

I am only licensed in Arkansas. No part of this answer should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship.

He is being denied by the mother not the court he thank just cause the mother want let him that the court want he is not unfit he wants to part of his sons life she just want let him because he isnt with her the child is 6 and he can count on one hand how many times hes see the child i jist dont thank they say no cause the mother does