Skip to main content

I have a DUI in Florida, and owe +-3000$. Can i get a licensE in California?

San Diego, CA |

I failed my probation and served 4 months. The judge said I'm done with the courts just have to pay to get my license, no time frame, that's all that's holding me back. I'm moving to San Diego in a few weeks and won't have the money to pay it off. Thanks for your time

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You won't know if you can get a CA license unless you try. I've had clients in this same situation from FL who were rejected by CA because of unpaid fines so unless this problem is very recent you most likely will be turned away by the CA DMV.


I agree with Mr. Woolsey....try. The worst they can do is decline.

So much is missed in massive paperwork. Good luck.

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply


You can get a license in California as long as there is not a suspension in
another state that has been reported to the national driver registry. Go to
the DMV when you get to San Diego in apply for a license. your driving
record will be check and you will know what shows up at that point. if
there is an issue you can always call attorney like myself in San Diego for


California generally will not issue a license while a license while there is a hold on your previous license in Florida. You will likely need the hold cleared in Florida before you can get a license in California. This is the modern equivalent of debtor's prison. You would need to contact a Florida attorney to see if there are any options available in Florida to clear the hold without completing payment.


Can't hurt to try.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555