Skip to main content

I have a drivers license suspension in New York state for failure to appear for a traffic ticket. How much does it cost to fix?

Brooklyn, NY |

I was cited for crossing across a HOV boundary but didn't receive the ticket for over a year at which point I was no longer at my former address. I only found out about the warrant when I was ticketed in Wisconsin for speeding. I would like to get a new license in California but clearly need to get the NY licensure sorted first.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Contact the clerk of the court. They can tell you the cost of the ticket as well as the suspension fee.


If you'd like to sort it out yourself, you'll need to contact the particular court or agency involved. If it was Brooklyn, it's the TVB (you can try to find the case information here:

If you can't find what you need or would like some help, you can always give us a call.



Thanks, it was Nassau (I was on the LIE) and I need to clear to get a CA license. Do these things have a statute of limitations?


Contact the nys DMV or the traffic violation beareau and find out about the fees.


As indicated by the other answers, you should contact the clerk of the particular court to determine the fine and suspension lift fee. If you are unsure what court the ticket was returnable to, you can contact NYS Department of Motor Vehicles to order a driver's abstract. That will provide you with the information on the court that put in the suspension order.

This communication is neither a solicitation nor an offer to represent you. The information provided to you in this communication is not intended to create and does not create a lawyer-client relationship with the Law Office of Daniel A. Jimenez P.C.


You need retain counsel to run your NY State abstract, find out why your license is expired, provide you with a copy of your NY State history (abstract) and then consult you on how to resolve it. Other attorneys have commented "contact the clerk," but there are over 1,300 courts in NY State and if it happened in NYC or Suffolk County you can forget it. Our office has all of the links to web sites or numbers that you can actually get through to people or resolve it online. You can expect to pay a consultation fee of $250.00 for this service.


Depends on where the summons is.
Contact a local attorney in the area.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer