I have a disorderly person charge on my record from Michigan, where I believe it's considered a misdemeanor class c.

New York, NY |

How will this affect my chances of applying for a NY state medical license?

NY looks to see if the offense is a crime under the NY standards. Without knowing the defuinition of disorderly person in Michigan, I cannot answer it. You should probably seek Michigan counsel to vacate the plea and seek a dismissal.

Call the Office of the Professions and ask.

http://www.op.nysed.gov/

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

It may or it may not, but is not a bar to application or licensing. The Office of Professional in your circumstances will arrange for a full investigation into your prior conviction on the issue of the required "good moral character" for becoming a licensed physician. It may decide on allowing you to proceed or not. If not, they must notify you and you have the right to a hearing. If the panel rules against you still, then you have the right to an appeal to the Committee on the Professions. Regardless of filing an appeal, one can reapply after 18 months from service of the panel report.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.