Skip to main content

I have a different last name on my birth certificate than my social security card,

Geneseo, NY |

My mom changed my name some how at some point and i have no clue when or where? I cant get a id or license, my father has passed and cant find my mother what can i do to get my last name changed so its the same on my birth certificate and social security card...i was born in NY....

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It appears that you need to go to court to formally change your name. Contact your local county courthouse and see what the legalities are for a New York name change.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


You can file for a name change in a court proceeding. You will need some documentation to connect your old and new names. How about school or employment records?