I have a criminal record for possession of marijuana , 3 or 4 times to be exact , they all misdemeanors.

Miami, FL |

will this affect the possibilities of the dream act to cover me?
one of them was just recently, today to be exact. I've gotten "promise to appear in court" in all and was only taken to jail once.

It shouldn't but wouldn't it be smart to stop being so dumb. Do you really want to risk your future for some pot?

thank you for the answer, and no. my future will not be at risk cause of my dumb decisions.

David Richard Damore

David Richard Damore

Wanna bet?

what i mean is that i won't be making more decisions that will jeopardize my future sir. thank you once again

David Richard Damore

David Richard Damore

That's great. You have your whole life ahead of you. Follow your dreams and reach for the stars. Go to FSU!!

David Richard Damore

David Richard Damore

sir, if they allow me i would go no hesitation, I'm a 23 year old male. hoping luck and life changes for me. thank you

Jonathan Burton Blecher

Jonathan Burton Blecher

This is not the first time Mr. Damore responds disrespectfully to a questioner. I cannot accept his flip remarks as valuable advice.

David Richard Damore

David Richard Damore

To my colleague...Mr Blecher...answering a quetion candidly and trying to wake a young person up to the reality of what their behavior could do to their future is not being disrespectful nor "flip" You sir are the person deserving of contempt for denegrating a fellow attorney..I considerer your comments disrespectful but take them with a grain of salt, considering the source...I note you've offered no advise at all...is the inquiry to difficult for you to offer anything that might help the questioner?

David Richard Damore

David Richard Damore

sorry for the typos..meant no disrespect

David Richard Damore

David Richard Damore

Having considered several of my colleagues comments and ignored Atty Blecher's non answer I find myself having to modify my original answer. When answering I had it in my head that you were speaking of Floridas scholarsip known as "Bright Student" i have no idea why i equated the Dream Act for a scholarship to college issue and I aploogize for my misstake. You really need to consult an immigration attorney immediately.

Jonathan Burton Blecher

Jonathan Burton Blecher

"Bright Futures"

I changed your practice area on your posting to "Immigration" since this is an immigration question and not a criminal law question.

If you want to become an American citizen then it would be a great idea to lay off the pot.

Best of luck.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

thank you sir and definitely starting a new page in my life. no bud

Yes.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created.

Nicolas Andres Olano

Nicolas Andres Olano

The memo setting the deffered action guidelines bars individuals with serious misdemeanors. You can count that any drug related conviction will be considered as such.

mr. Olano with that being said, i should just leave the country then? ...... any more opinions from different attorneys ?? please and thank you

Nicolas Andres Olano

Nicolas Andres Olano

I suggest you sit down with an immigration attorney who will have to work hand in hand with a criminal lawyer to resolve your issues and help you remain in the U.S. Why? Because you will most likely have to vacate your convictions along with finding an immigration solution. Good Luck.

Guidelines and procedures for the deferred action policy will be released within the next couple of weeks; however according to the original memo, eligibility (among other factors) is for people have not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor offense, or multiple misdemeanor offenses, and meet other key criteria.

Talk to an attorney in person so he/she can review your criminal dispositions.

Morales Law Firm P.A. 2100 Coral Way Ste 703 Miami, FL 33145 (305) 851-7856 This response is not offered as legal advice, but is only a general informational response for public interest. No one reading this is authorized to claim that an attorney client relationship exists with this writer or the writer's law firm.

Morales, does that mean I won't be covered by it?

You're probably not going to be eligible because even 1 drug possession charge is likely too many to qualify for DA. Add 3-4 possession charges and it's probably a slam dunk denial and your case could also get referred to ICE to begin removal proceedings against you.

Try to stay out of trouble and good luck.

-Sanjay Paul, Esq.
www.dreamlawca.com
www.facebook.com/dreamlawyers

This is not legal advice. No attorney client relationship exists between us.

Thank you sir , I will definitely straighten out

It appears that you will in all liklihood be inelgible and that you are deportable and inadmissible to the United States. You should speak to both a criminal and immigration attorney right away so that you can investigate whether these arrests/convictions can be vacated. The fact that they are misdemeanors is of no consequence. Its is more a concern that it is drugs.