Skip to main content

I have a court hearing in Hall County, Georgia for a dui. I am out on bail now. What would happen If I took a job 5 states away

Gainesville, GA |
Attorney answers 7

Best Answer

Possibly. It would be up to Hall County to decide whether they want to spend the money on extraditing you. Knowing how serious Hall County treats DUIs, I would say it is likely. Not to mention you would have a bondsman after you. In any event, why would you want this hanging over your head the rest of your life? You need to deal with this. The case will not go away just because you disappear. DUIs can be contested in many, many ways. You may have a good defense. Don't make a rash decision. Discuss this with a lawyer. You can probably still move to take a job out of state, but you will need to return when your attorney tells you a court appearance requires your attendance.


It is doubtful that you would be extradited for a misdemeanor, but a warrant could keep you from renewing your driver's license and could cause you problems when interacting with government agencies. You could also get picked up and held in the other state waiting to see if Georgia wanted to come get you. They could hold you for 10 days at a time. It is much better to deal with the charge than to take off.


If I understand your question are you asking if there will be consequences if you violate your bond and don't return. You should really consult with an attorney and at least get a free consultation. You may find that simply by doing so the attorney may be able to prevent you from becoming a wanted person.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. At this time, I am not accepting professional responsibility on this matter. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until I receive a signed retainer agreement along with the requested retainer fee. If this matter is truly important to you, hire an attorney. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 678-510-1716 or if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). Without reviewing the appropriate paperwork It is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.



It all comes down to money... I don't think I can afford quality representation... I don't have 3500 or 7500 to proceed with a "GOOD" attorney.

Michael David Barber Jr.

Michael David Barber Jr.


Most attorneys, including myself, have payment plans so you wouldn't need the entire amount up front anyways. you would only need to put a percentage down (which is usually x plus agree to make monthly payments). If you want to talk with our office I would be more than happy to give you a free consultation and discuss your issues at length. 678-510-1716.


You will forfeit your bail. A warrant will be lodged against you. Sooner or later this will re-surface and you will regret not dealing with it in a responsible and timely manner.

See if you can do both - accept the job, but alert the court and make arrangements to protect yourself and your bail money. A qualified attorney can explain this too you far more fully, and can make certain appearances for you in court. If you have not done so already. consult with and retain such an attorney as quickly as you can.

Christopher I. Simser, Sr.
Anelli Xavier
Syracuse - Albany - Rochester - Buffalo


I don't know if they would extradite you but a warrant could really complicate your life in numerous ways. Your dl would be suspended. You could be arrested and held numerouss times while the county decides whether or not they will extradite. Avoid the problems and hire a lawyer and resolve it. That is always the better course.


They might, but the problem is going to be that this will impair your driver's license both here and in the state your are looking to move to. If you are looking to resolve the case prior to trial and save your license before you move, you can hire either our firm or another firm for less than the amount you stated in one of your comments. Beating the charge or having it reduced is also a possibility. Keep calling attorneys to find one who will work with you to get the slate cleaned before you move and so that this will not just dog you for years.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP EMAIL:, OFFICES: 53 W. Candler St., Winder, Ga. 30680, 106 Washington Street, Jefferson, Ga. 30549, Or 718 Oak St. Gainesville, Georgia. PHONE: (770) 307-4899 or (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation


I doubt they would extradite you, but you would get your license suspended here which means you would not be able to get a license in the new jurisdiction, or if you did you would not be able to renew it in the future. Also, if you traveled outside of the country they would see the warrant when you came back through immigration, and they would hold you at a federal facility and extradite you back whenever they got around to it. If you applied for jobs, and they did a Georgia or a national background check they would see you have an active warrant for your arrest.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer