Skip to main content

I have a couple of tickets from 3 years ago. They have added up to 2,000 dollars. Is there any way to make the price go down?

Oceanside, CA |

My license is on suspension because of lack of payments. I was wondering if there was any way to ask the court to bring the fine down since it has been so long. I have been without a license for 3 years. One of the tickets is a fix it ticket. The other is a speeding violation.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You always have the option of going into Court to request a reduction, however, since it's been so long it will likely not work in your favor. The court will give you an abstract stating you have fulfilled the requirements once you pay off the fines. Then make an appointment at the DMV to pay your reissue fee. It's hard to say what the Court will do, but you could talk to a traffic attorney who offers a free consultation.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established..


Go to court, or hire an attorney, with a checkbook and start making payments so hopefully the court will lift the hold on your license.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555


It depends if you never appeared on your tickets (FTA) versus a failure to pay (FTP). If your tickets are in FTA status, you can have an attorney go in and clear them up. If they are in FTP status, you are stuck.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Practicing throughout Southern California
(310) 707-7131

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.


If you have never appeared on the cases, you can likely appear at court, and enter a not guilty plea to the underlying citations. The court will then set a trial for the citations, and the officers will likely not have the citations on the trial dates and the underlying citations might get dismissed saving you money on the cases. However, on each case where you failed to attend the arraignment on the given date, the court has added a $300 civil assessment and those will only be removed by the court for good cause--death, in the hospital, military leave, etc. It would be worth looking into the tickets to see how much money you can save. An attorney can appear at court and enter the not guilty pleas for you and that may lift the hold on your license.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer