Skip to main content

I have a child support case next week.Does the court accept a notarized letter from my father for child care expenses?

Astoria, NY |

I am the mother and I have custody.I have to work full time and my father is babysitting my 2 kids (10 years old for after school and my 4 years old).I am paying him $180.00 cash per week.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

The court would likely accept the letter for purposes of calculating child care expenses. It is somewhat problematic that it is from your father because one could easily get a family member to write such a letter. If the court feels that the amount you are paying is not unreasonable (and it doesn't appear to be), then it shouldn't be a problem. Note, however, that if the matter is not settled and there is a trial, the letter would probably not be admitted into evidence. Your father would likely have to come in and testify and be subject to cross-examination.


Depends on the court. They may if it is Family Court.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Posted's a family court....


In Queens Family Court they will most likely take it - but if the Respondent objects, you may have to bring your father in to testify. Good luck!