Skip to main content

I have a bench warrant and want to turn myself in will i go to jail?

Akron, OH |

it is a bench warrant for failure to pay a $150 dollar fine for obstruction of official business.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You may be able to have the warrant lifted by simply paying the fine. Contact the court where the warrant was issued to inquire. Otherwise you will may have to turn yourself in and be arraigned by a judge or magistrate. If you cannot post bond or pay the fine you could potentially be detained.


I would suggest you pay the fine and afterward contact the clerk to ask if the warrant can be cleared. If that's not possible, contact a local attorney to get advice on how to proceed. At that point, you will at least be in a better position having eliminated the reason for the warrant being issued.

I am licensed to practice criminal and DUI law in VA, not OH. As such, I may be unaware of certain state laws; and therefore, my response may be incorrect or inappropriate. Please use my response for informational purposes only.

Good luck.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.


Depending on the Judge, you may be taken into custody for the warrant if you just show up at Court. In some instances, the Court requires you to turn yourself in before they will allow you to appear before them. In either event, you should make a payment towards your fines prior to your appearance in Court. If the Clerk of Courts will not accept a partial payment, you should have a family member prepared to make the payment on your behalf. Hiring a lawyer in this situation would be beneficial, especially if your case is in Akron Municipal Court. A lawyer familiar with the Akron Municipal Court could efficiently direct you through the system in order to minimize the amount of time you could potentially spend in custody. If you fail to turn yourself in on the warrant, the Court may look less favorably upon your situation.

This answer is only to be interpreted as general advise in an effort to assist individuals on a very basic level. The advice provided is simply based off the very limited information provided in the questions posted on this website. The answers provided in no way result in the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Before any such relationship exists, an individual must sign an engagement letter, and remit either a flat fee or retainer fee deposit depending on the type of case. If you would like to speak further, I would happily speak with your in person or over the phone. Please note that I am only licensed to practice law in the states of Connecticut and Ohio.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer