I have a 3 family, My tennants currently pay 2100 a month for rent, I would like to raise them to 2500 due to rising expenses

Brooklyn, NY |

I would like to raise them, They have been living there for approx 22 years. Its a private 3 family, Its not rent controlled/stabolized. Their lease has been up for over 1 year. I am giving them 60 days notice for the rent increase. I am in brooklyn, N.Y. I will provide them with a letter for the rent increase and its explanation in expenses- is there anything else I need to do? Thank you.

Best Answer

Dear Brooklyn Landlord:

If your three family building is properly registered with the City as a multiple dwelling, and the last lease expired, as long as your long term tenant agrees to the rent increase, there is no formal form of notice required.

The tenancy is considered month to month and is governed by the terms and conditions of the last expired lease.

If your tenant turns down your offer will you negotiate or terminate the tenancy and start an eviction proceeding? There is some value in having a stable relationship with the tenant.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Thank you, there really not good tenants. if they turn down the lease offer I would start eviction proceeding 7/1 unless they notify me of plans to move out by 8/1

Steven Warren Smollens

Steven Warren Smollens

OK. Not exactly. You do not need to give 60 days for them to decide. But you cannot combine a proposal to raise the rent and a new lease for a specific term, along with a termination notice. You have to choose. You could give them two months to decide, but if they take the time and turn you down, you first must deal with making a proper termination of the tenancy. After that period runs out, and if they do not move, you have to start the court proceeding. Is your multiple dwelling properly registered with the City?

Not unless there's an old lease (from years ago) that prescribed some other method.

I'm just 3 "helpful" answers away from a free toaster-oven! I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists.

They are holdover tenants so the old lease applies. Read it to what it says abour increases.

The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

in the old lease, there was no mention of increase's max vs minimal amout- I left out any mention of increases for fear of restriction- last raise was 6/1/14 for the amount of $140. I thank you and peter for evertything