Skip to main content

I have 3 DWI i was only convicted of one but still have 2 open but that was 10 year ago did not go to court

Henderson, NC |
Attorney answers 3


mi? as in Michigan?
If you did not go to court, chances are that the cases are still open and there are warrants out for you. If so, contact a lawyer where the cases were charged to see what you can do to resolve them.

The advice may be to let sleeping dogs lie, but this is unlikely. Old warrants have a way of waking up and biting at the most inconvenient times.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.


I agree with the above attorney. Depending on the time that elapsed between the DWI charges, you could face stiff penalties. However, you will never be able to obtain a valid license until you resolve these charges and leaving the charges unresolved can prevent you from securing employment. I'd advise you to take care of these charges so you can move on with your life without continually looking over your shoulder.


Many jurisdictions have a statute of limitations on crimes of 5 years. If you abscond it may stop the time period from running or the judge may ask the prosecutor if he used "due diligence" to locate you. If the prosecutor cannot prove that he used due diligence to locate you then the case may be dismissed. You should retain a good lawyer and try to surrender before they find you. The cases may be too old to prosecute or the witnesses, such as the police officer may not be available .

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer