Skip to main content

I have a warrant in Wisconsin when I was in prison in Illinois I try ed to get it took care of n I was told it was not showing

Oshkosh, WI |

Up and when I got out my brother said cops came to his house looking for me what should I do I called out to Wisconsin in was told cause it's a mistormeaner and thats the reason it, did not show up in the system and if I don't return nothing can be done I have kid's in that state so I have to go back

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You can hire an attorney to work out a deal for you. You can turn yourself in and get it taken care of or you can roll the dice and hope you never get pulled over in WI. the last one isn't a great option as it always seems that people get picked up on the worst possible moment and then you don't get any credit for dealing with it.,

In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. You should seek counsel in your geographic area regarding any specific questions.


I agree with the first answer. I would add, if you don't take care of this and you get pulled over in a state other than WI and the warrant comes up, you will be taken in on the warrant. You will then sit in jail for days, weeks, months while WI decides it will not extradite you for a misdemeanor. You will be released, but this will not clear the warrant. If you are pulled over in a state other than WI and the warrant comes up again, the process starts all over.

Taking care of this with an attorney on your side is your best bet. Contact local, experienced criminal defense attorneys directly for more specific advice. Most initial consultations are free. So, you have nothing to lose at first. If you cannot afford a private attorney, contact the local public defender's office.

Good luck!


Find a criminal defense lawyer in Oshkosh (if that is where the warrant is) to help you with this. It will continue to be a problem until you do.

In my 30+ years experience, warrants tend to pop up at the worst time, as in on Holiday visits.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.


The State of Wisconsin typically (that means not always, but usually) specifies on a warrant for a misdemeanor criminal offense that it is executable only within the State of Wisconsin. Felony warrants are typically executable anywhere in the United States.

I agree with the other attorneys' answers. Get a lawyer and take care of it as soon as humanly possible. If you get arrested on the warrant before you handle this, nobody will believe you when you tell them you were planning on turning yourself in shortly. If you contact an attorney, he or she may be able to get your case called in court with you voluntarily walking into court to take care of the warrant. Then the lawyer can get a chance to explain to the judge that you were unable to come to court due to incarceration in another state, that you made attempts to check into the warrant and were told that it didn't show up in that state's system, and that you have voluntarily come to court to answer to the charges. With this scenario, you may be able to get the warrant cancelled and have your original bond reinstated - or if bond had not previously been set, have a better chance at a lower cash bail or a signature bond (that means no cash required for your release).

The telephone number for the Oshkosh office of the State Public Defender is 920-424-3304. Call them to see if you qualify for an attorney appointed by their office. If not, call an experienced criminal defense lawyer in that area and take care of this right away. Don't let this warrant ruin your holiday season. Good Luck.

This communication is for the purposes of general advice only. This communication does not form any contractual obligation on behalf of the Attorney Stephen W. Sawyer or the Law Offices of Stephen W. Sawyer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer