Skip to main content

I had my 2 years conditional Green card {marriage} expired. My wife, in the last 2.5 years decide to file for divorce. What now?

Los Angeles, CA |

My wife, for the last 2.5 years decide to file for divorce. We have been living together, paying bills, have a lease car under our name and so on..

I had my 2 years conditional Green card {marriage to an American citizen} expired. I filled for the permanent green card, did my biometrics already and got a letter from the immigration saying they will need more info, that was the last contact with the immigration. What is that mean "they need more info"? And what if I don't have that info? Like tax return as a marriage filling together?

Now my wife decide to leave me and file for divorce. My Q is what happen now? Am I going to get the permanent green card because we have been together for more than 2.5 years? Or I am going to be ask to leave the US? Thanks for your answer.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Re-read the letter. It not only tells you what kind of info is needed ... it probably gave you a deadline.

Meet with an attorney to discuss alternatives to the 'joint' petition.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


If your marriage was bona fide, hire an immigration attorney and seek waiver.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


That letter should have told you what info they need and by when.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer