I had a slip and fall on State property. Broke ankle and damaged knees each had surgery. What would be a fair settlement value?

Poughkeepsie, NY |

I slipped on uncleared ice while working on State property. I broke my ankle had plate 6 screws, sprained other ankle, had arthroscopic surgery on both knees. I also fell down the stairs while in a cast and damaged each shoulder-surgery on both. The cast for my ankle was too tight and caused bunions on both sides of my foot which require future surgery. However, I am collecting workman's comp.

It's been almost a year since original injury and my ankle is still very painful--can't walk far or stand long. I also have been replaced at work. So I will have no job when cleared. I'm 58 & regret being forced to start over again.

Court date slipped with the attorney general 3x. What can I expect for a settlement value or what would be fair?

The fall was 2:40pm at a State IRA. The parking lot was not initially cleared that day following an ice storm the day before. The snow plow and I arrived at the same time that day--him to plow, me to attend a meeting. When I fell, plow man found me on the ground and got help to assist me in building--could not walk.

I am sorry to hear about your very major injuries. I hope you recover fully and as quickly as possible.

Although your response is very detailed, most attorneys will not be able to give you a response to this question. It is really something you should discuss with your own attorney. Only an attorney with knowledge of all of the facts and circumstances of your situation can give you a proper legal analysis.

Based on the fact that you are writing on this forum you may not feel comfortable talking with your attorney. I think that is a mistake to try to get answers from this forum. You need to have a long and open conversation with your own attorney. Not only are they in the best position to answer, but they need to know your feelings on this matter. It may not feel like it, but this is your case. You are in charge of what happens with your case (even if you can't control your injuries or your job situation).

Have faith in your attorney, and have a long conversation about what you need to. Good luck.

THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT IMPLY OR CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS IMPLIED OR CREATED BY RESPONDING OR FAILING TO RESPOND TO THIS RESPONSE. THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT PROVIDE LEGAL ADVICE. FOR LEGAL ADVICE, YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN ATTORNEY.