Skip to main content

I had a paralegal prepare my divorce paper. Been married 31 yrs I am 52yrs and a homemaker. Is this a wise way file?

Murrieta, CA |

The paralegal company name is called Just prepare Documents.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Document preparers have a place but they cannot give legal advice. You should get legal advice, get a consultation.

The answers on this discussion board are general in nature and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to questions does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Always see a lawyer about your individual situation.


Is it wise? No. Absolutely not. Not after a 31 year marriage. At a minimum you should have at least a consultation with an experienced family law lawyer to discuss what issue your case presents and how they should be handled or resolved. Paralegals cannot give you legal advice, they can only prepare papers. If they do give you legal advice, they are operating illegally. Do yourself a favor and at least have one face to face consultation with an experienced family law attorney to discuss any possible issues you may have. It will be worth your time and money.

Michael Schwerin, San Jose, California phone: 408-295-4232 email: Consultation fees, rates and retainers vary based on need and ability to pay.


Accord with Mr. Harrington's and Mr. Schwerin's responses. Don't rely on a typist to guide you through your divorce. Get advice from an experienced Family Law Attorney. After a 31-year marriage, you will likely have rights that need to be properly pursued to avoid their loss. You may need formal discovery and subpoenas to obtain necessary information and documents. You would be far better off to retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to advise and represent you.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.