Skip to main content

I had a legal separation on March 1, 2014 in Washington State. How do you go about this if you have never separated your assets

Mount Vernon, WA |
Attorney answers 2


I would recommend you consult an attorney on how assets are divided in the State of Washington. Also, in Indiana a legal separation does not divide or transfer ownership of assets. It instead controls who has temporary possession of them while the separation is open. I assume it is the same in Washington but will want to get a definite answer to that question. You also want to check to see how long a legal separation is valid in Washington. In Indiana, the separation is only good for a one year period. At the end of the time period, you must either convert the case to a divorce or it will be dismissed. The law may be different in Washington so consult an attorney out there.

Travis A. Van Winkle The Law Office of Travis Van Winkle, LLC does not intend for this response to be construed as legal advice. Instead, it is intended as general information. You should consult with a lawyer for legal guidance regarding the specifics of your case.


your assets and debts are divided as ordered in your final decree. If you do not understand what the decree states then see an attorney.

NOTE: this answer is given on a limited factual basis and does not constitute legal advice. It is advised that you seek legal counsel or consult with an attorney.