Skip to main content

I had a felony indictment dismissed by a Common Pleas Court and the record sealed ...

Toledo, OH |

... do I have to pay for this ?
The court dismissed the charges on all of the other court proceedings and the charges for the community control sanctions.
The indictment was dismissed due to the Ohio Supreme Court's ruling in State v. Williams. (AWA)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

If it was out right dismissed you need to file to have the record sealed. Most courts do not charge a filing fee for a sealing of the record. Some courts still try to collect money in anyway they can and will try to charge a fee for the sealing of the record.

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner


There is generally a fee for expungement. In Hamilton County the clerk's office will charge a $50 fee for filing an application to seal a conviction record. Filing an application to seal a record of acquittal, dismissal, or No Bill is free. Most courts do not charge for expungement/sealing of dismissals.

Ohio citizens have the right under Ohio Revised Code Section 2953.52 to petition the court in which they were found "not guilty" to seal the records of the proceedings entirely. See link to

Kentucky law does not certify specialty of practice in this area. The advice given herein is informational and should not be considered as creating an attorney/client relationship. Michael Bouldin is an independent attorney located in Northern Kentucky. It is strongly recommended to not give any confidential information on any website.


It depends on the court. You should call an attorney and have him or her contact the Clerk of Courts for that jurisdiction. That attorney can help you get the record sealed and inform you of whatever fees are involved. My experience is that there is usually a fee involved when filing to seal a record.

A response to a question on Avvo is NOT legal advice. These answers are provided for general informational purposes ONLY. Thomas Haren is not your attorney until you have signed a retainer agreement with his firm and paid a fee. Questions posted on Avvo normally provide very limited information, and thus a more detailed, private conversation is needed before any answers should be relied upon. DO NOT POST CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION ON AVVO.


Certainly not.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer