Skip to main content

I got pulled over for doing 65 in a 45. Should I plead guilty or not guilty?

Hoosick Falls, NY |

Night time, had not seen a speed limit sign after turning onto the road. Not from NY. First time driving through location and in NY

Fully Loaded pickup truck going uphill

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should fight this ticket because it will carry 4 points and can hurt your auto insurance rates. How you fight it depends in which court your case is pending. The easiest thing is to just consult with a NY traffic lawyer about your ticket. We don't charge for a consultation.

Matthew Weiss, Esq. Weiss & Associates, PC 212-683-7373 Since 1991, we make fighting traffic tickets as easy as possible.



Hoosick Town Court is where this will be held. Do you think that I have a chance in court? and also what are the court fees?


I say no never plead guilty as charged because when you retain a firm like mine we go to court for you and save you money by getting a plea to a non-moving violation that prevents an insurance increase.


Not seeing the sign isn't normally a defense unless for some reason you were not able to see the sign.

That said, I always advise people charged with speeding this fast to plead not guilty at first. You may be able to negotiate something that will be less harmful to your license and insurance.

Local counsel can make a good result more likely. Otherwise you will have to arrange to put your case before the court and may be required to appear in person.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer