Skip to main content

I got pregnant at 16 by my 20 yr old boyfriend im now 17 and he's 21 if we move in together would he get in trouble for anything

Houston, TX |

my parents knew about my pregnancy but i dont really think they'll approve of me moving out

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You are a minor under Texas law. You cannot move out without your parent's permission.
Being pregnant does not change that fact.
If you want to emancipate, it costs a lot of money and YOU must be totally self-sufficient. You must have a job where you can fully support yourself. A boyfriend cannot contribute to your being "self-sufficient".

Once you turn 18 you can do anything you want.

Fran Brochstein has been a licensed Texas attorney over 22 years. She is a Advanced Credentialed Mediator by the Texas Mediator Credentialing Association. Fran enjoys educating people about Texas laws and mediation -- her motto is "knowledge is power". She has a full-time family law mediation practice in the Houston area. She is also trained n elder law mediation. If you need a consultation and mention that you saw this on - Fran will give you a discounted rate of $175/hour -- her usual hourly rate is $300/hour. If you found this answer "helpful" or "best answer", please select the button to show your appreciation. Please understand that Fran's reply to your question in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney in your county in person about your specific legal problem. You can contact her at 713-805-9591 - 7 days a week on her personal cell phone.


Since there is more than a three year age difference between the parties your boyfriend is facing potential criminal charges.

It would be best if your parent would consent to the marriage between the two of you.


Erick Platten

Platten Law Office

Avvo lawyers donate their time to answer questions on this forum. If one of the answers is helpful to you please indicate so by choosing the best answer or answer as helpful.