Skip to main content

I got possession of a controlled substance on federal grounds in New York. Need help!

Brooklyn, NY |
Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

If you have been charge with a misdemeanor than the maximum penalty would be a year in jail although that would usually be unlikely. While you should have a lawyer it is quite possible the court will appoint you an attorney if you are unable to afford one. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.



It didnt say the charge on the ticket it only said possession of a controlled substance.....are you located in new york ?? ..

Howard A. Schwartz

Howard A. Schwartz


Yes. *************** The Attorney-Client Privilege applies to this Email *************** Howard A. Schwartz, Esq. Schwartz & Krysinski, LLP 50 Court Street, Suite 506 Brooklyn, New York 11201 c: (718) 208-6094 o: (718) 643-9333 f: (718) 522-5644


You need a lawyer. Punishment can vary but jail can be avoided.
Good Luck!

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


It depends on many factors. You need a good criminal defense lawyer who handles federal court cases... it is different that state court.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Federal Court is much more serious and expensive that state court, but possession on federal land like a military base is not likely to get you a prison term. You will probably get probation and you will be eligible for a federal public defender if you are indigent.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer