Skip to main content

I got my first speeding ticket its a 68 on a 30 and i have a clean license i want to plead not guilty.

Long Island City, NY |

do you think they will work out a deal with me considering that this is my first ticket ever and i got the ticket on the prospect expy in Brooklyn NY . it was a highway 1 cop

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You cannot work out a "deal" at the Brooklyn traffic court. At this court, there are no deals. It is an "all or nothing" court. You should nevertheless fight this 8-point speeding ticket. It carries a lot of points, will be expensive and, most importantly, can result in your being suspended.

The below article that I wrote should help you understand better what you're up against.

Matthew Weiss

Matthew Weiss, Esq. Weiss & Associates, PC 212-683-7373 Since 1991, we make fighting traffic tickets as easy as possible.


Plead Not guilty. You face many penalties for such a high speed. You should get an attorney for this charge.
If you don't hire an attorney, I also suggest showing up the 1st time and if the cop is there, ask for an adjournment to hire an attorney and maybe throw him off his schedule to possibly get a dismissal in the future.

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


Plead not guilty, obtain experience traffic defense counsel and let them advise you properly.

My response to your question is a generic response and should not be construed as controlling to your case. I can not effectively advise about your case without knowing all the facts. Additionally, my response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You can contact my office to schedule an appointment if you would like to have me represent you.

David S Kapp

David S Kapp


...and an experienced traffic lawyer who works at this court every day is the best (really the only) person to advise you. There are many good traffic lawyers in brooklyn. Often they can get 2 no-shows against the cop and get your ticket dismissed. Knowing the judges at TVB "courts" is critical to avoid suspensions.


It's good that your license is clean. It may keep you from having your license suspended. If you plead guilty that is a real risk. You should plead not guilty and hire an attorney. Even then you are a long way from "not guilty", because you were so far over the speed limit, and even from the reduced charge of 30 miles over the speed limit, that it will be difficult to challenge the radar reading.


Since you can't plea bargain this case, you have nothing to lose but time and money in fighting this.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website


In NYC these tickets aren’t returnable in court. They are heard in the Traffic Violations Bureau of the Department of Motor Vehicles. There is no plea bargaining. It is guilty or not guilty. If you are found guilty of going 38mph over the limit it is an eight point violation and that can lead to some seriously hefty fines even if your license isn’t suspended. I suggest you speak with an attorney who regularly appears on West 8th street. S/he can tell you what your options are and how to proceed. There is certainly no reason for you to just plead guilty.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer