I got married in the Bahamas in 2007 DO I have to file for a divorce or can I just walk away?

New York, NY |

We can not get along. He is verbally abusive and I am very miserable living with him. I do have two children with him, but his name is not on the youngest birth certificate.

Yes, you still need a divorce.

My standard disclaimer: I am not offering legal advice, assume I do not know the law in your state and that I am just making suggestions. Do NOT rely on anything I write and contact a lawyer in your area immediately for real legal advice.

The Bahamas marriage is valid, remember a lot of folks from the US get married in the Caribbean, the marriages if performed properly with a license etc. are all valid. You need to get yourself to an attorney with a copy of marriage certificate. In any event since you have children, you will need child support and custody, so the attorney or legal aid is well advised.