I got into a minor car accident and want to make sure I have docs to prove damage is paid and taken care of.

Houston, TX |

I want to ask about a specific clause on a Release and Agreement form template I found online. Clause 4: "By executing this release Releasor give up any claim that he or she may now or hereafter have against any person, firm or corporation other than Releasee and those persons and entities specified in Clause 7." Clause 7: "In executing this release Releasor additionally intends to bind his or her spouse, heirs, legal representatives, assigns, and anyone else claiming under him or her. Releasor has not assigned any claim arising from the accident described in Clause 2 to any other party. This release applies to Releasee's heirs, legal representatives, insurers, and successors, as well as to Releasee. What does Clause 4 mean, does it put me at a disadvantage?How should I reword it?

I think you posted this earlier today -- you ought to take the release to an attorney to have them review the language and advise you of the ramifications. It ought not take the attorney more than an hour to resolve your concerns.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

You really need to have an attorney review the entire release.

I agree. You should talk to a lawyer. We can't tell online what you are giving up because we don't know the facts a don't know have the full release.

Don't play lawyer. Retain one to review it.

Take the release to an attorney and explain all of the facts of your case, they can break down the meaning of each clause for you to understand. Best of luck.