Skip to main content

I got hurt from a fall inside a produce store last Thursday, Mar. 28, 2013. When do I file a claim for a case for the incident?

Schaumburg, IL |

While shopping in Valley Produce in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, I slipped and caused my fall. The floor looked like been earlier swept and left some green residues. My hip joint got hurt, felt light-headed, BP went up. Personnels of the store came over and asked If I was ok. I told, I need medical attention. So they called 911 and brought me to the nearest hospital, in St Alexius Medical Center. Xrays on my pelvic and arm revealed no fracture. Upon discharge from the hospital, I went back to the store and talked to the personnel in charge. He showed me his incident report that was faxed to their insurance. I got a copy of that and called my insurance as well and reported the incident. Pain didn't persist so much that day so I worked that night but till now I still feel the sored hip.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 10


When you file a claim for slip and fall injuries is important. More important, though is how you file and what you need to say in order to establish a valid premisees liability claim. Here's why: [Blue-Link-Below]

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.


You've done most of the things "right" so far. If they faxed it to their insurance company, they are aware of it. DId you get a copy of this report? Do you have the insurer's contact information? The name of the person you spoke to at the store?

All of these would be important for the attorney who handles your case.

I recommend not handling this yourself, as premises liability case law is particularly difficult to surmount unless you know what you are doing.

Fortunately, you don't seem badly hurt. Keep following up with the medical treatment. If you don't have any serious injuries, you may still wish to contact a lawyer, as it is difficult to prove a slip and fall on a foreign substance case, such as this, and to prove amorphous "pain and suffering" damages without a lawyer experienced in how to present damages.

Good luck.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


Important for you to get appropriate medical attention; if appropriate. Local counsel is likewise necessary now; for example, if witnesses need to be contacted. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


It sounds like you need medical attention. It is quite normal for pain to arise a few hours or days after an accident. Consult with your physician and explain what happened. Afterwards, contact a local attorney to review your case. Slip and fall cases are subject to the laws of each state and may have more complications. Use Avvo to find counsel and schedule a free consultation. Best of luck and get well.


Get medical attention, and retain the above lawyer in your state to investigate.


Best advice is to seek medical treatment, do not speak with anyone from the insurance company or store (or give any statements) and seek the aid of a local personal injury attorney who can take it from here. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


What caused you to slip & fall? "Green Residues" what does that mean??

Attorney Stacy E. Pepper is licensed in all State and Federal Courts in Mississippi. He is a founding Partner in the law firm of Pepper & Odom, P.C. Nothing posted here constitutes any attorney client relationship and is meant for educational purposes only. Office hours are 8:00 a.m till 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone: 601-914-9219 Facsimile: 888-456-2160


You should talk to a personal injury attorney that specializes in premises liability or, as it is commonly called, "slip and fall" law. These cases are very different from traditional personal injury cases in some states and requires a lot of legal work to assert your rights and collect for your claim.

Answers to questions does not create an attorney/client relationship. I only am your attorney if I have entered into a written contract, signed by me, wherein I expressly assent to be your attorney. Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice to be acted upon, it is merely a legal opinion.


Simply falling on someone's property does not make a claim. There has to be notice and reasonable time rectify the problem. Assuming that you have those conditions met, you have a claim but the question is what is it worth? I would contact a local attorney in your area that specializes in Personal injury claims


Slip and fall cases in Illinois are very difficult to win-however, if you have the right facts, they can be won. Having said that, slip and fall cases really require an attorney because of all the trap doors that come with that type of claim. See an attorney that routinely handles slip and fall cases to determine if you have a case.

The Law Is About People
Mark D. Brynteson
Attorney at Law
2969 Rolling Meadow Court
Belvidere, Illinois 61008
(o) 815-569-4280
(o) 815-975-3102
(o) 815-975-3103
(f) 866-459-4075
web site:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer