Skip to main content

I got driving while suspended for DUI, do I have to install an Ignition Interlock Device in my vehicle?

Taft, CA |

I had a DUI in 2005, completed 9 mo program 2007. In Aug and Dec 2009 I got driving on suspended (disposition date 8/10/10). When I went to the DMV I was told the court said i have to istall an IID in my vehicle to get my DL back. ??????

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Court-Ordered IID Restriction

When the court orders use of an IID, you must have one installed by an authorized installer and provide proof of the installation to the court. The court has special forms and procedures to monitor drivers ordered to have the IID device installed. After the court notifies the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), DMV marks your record so law enforcement officers are aware of the IID requirement if you are stopped. DMV will also place a restriction on your driver license. If you fail to comply with a court-ordered IID restriction, the court will notify DMV and your driving privilege will be suspended until you comply with the court order.

DMV Ordered IID Restriction

DMV is required to impose an IID restriction on the driving privilege of a person convicted of driving when suspended or revoked for a driving under the influence (DUI) conviction Vehicle Code (VC) §§14601.2, 14601.4, or 14601.5.

This restriction does not allow a person to drive without a valid driver license.

The driver must submit either the Department of Motor Vehicles Ordered Verification of Ignition Interlock (DL 924) form or the Exemption For Ignition Interlock Device (DL 4054B) form to the DMV within 30 days from the mail date of the Order of Installment of An Ignition Interlock Device (DL 4054A) form


If your question is, do you have to follow the court's orders to qualify for obtaining your DL, the answer is yes. Hire a drunk driving defense attorney to help you. Go to to find the best in your area, because you are going to need some help with this. Good luck.


If getting an interlock device is part of the Court Order, then yes, it is required. From your question, it sounds like that is the case, but you should double check the terms of your sentencing to be sure.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.