Skip to main content

I got divorced and i have placement of our minor children and i would like to move do i have to get permission to do so?

Delavan, WI |

the place i am moving is out of walworth county but is not more then 150 miles

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The statute says 150miles or out of state. So, you do not have to ask the courts permission if it is within 150miles and within the state.

BUT... if it interferes with his placement, then sometimes it is just better to grab the court by the gavel and let everyone know what you are intending. Better than having a placement battle later over an optional move (assuming it is otional.

WALWORTH, ROCK and JEFFERSON County Divorce/Family Law Attorney - Atty Richard Missimer does answer questions on Avvo strictly to be helpful but these do not constitute legal advice. These answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you would like my help and are within my practice area, contact me at (262)565-8200 for a FREE CONSULTATION.


If the move is less than 150 miles, you do not need to give notice to the other parent; however, the fact that you have moved does not relieve you from your obligation to abide by the placement order.

This answer is for informational purposes only. By answering this question, no attorney/client relationship is created. Although the legal information is accurate, it may not be appropriate for your situation. The best way to handle any legal problem is to seek the advice of an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer