I got detained for shoplifting at walmart in maryland. I am on probation in Delaware..

Elkton, MD |

I was stopped for shoplifting and brought back to a tiny room police came and took a copy of my drivers licence and left. The security let me go and said I would be getting a letter with charges in the mail. My problem is I am on probation in another state for shoplifting ( unsupervised 1st offence ) should I wait to get the letter with the charges before I call my PO or do it now? Will I do jail time?

Best Answer

You need to consult with an attorney in Delaware about whether to contact the Probation Officer in Delaware. You should also get an attorney here for the shoplifting charge in Maryland. Do not post any details on AVVO since this is a public forum.

Office: 410-821-2910; e-mail: sscherr@fslawoffice.com. This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege since this is a public forum. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is not established with me until a retainer agreement is signed and/or a retainer or fee is paid. If you wish to schedule a consultation, you may contact me at 410-821-2910 or e-mail me at sscherr@fslawoffice.com. No communications with me on this forum shall be construed as arising out of an attorney-client relationship. If a client needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation.

It has been over 5 weeks now and have not received any paperwork in reference to this except for a letter to pay 600+$ to a lawyer for walmart . I have been going crazy why is this taking so long if they are going to charge me? I have checked the judicial case search almost daily and there is nothing with my name on it. I did get a letter the other day from a lawyer in town that said that it saw I have dealing with the courts coming soon and wanted me to use there services ( an advertisment ) ? How would he get the info before me? thanks

Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr

Usually Maryland Judiciary Case Search is fairly current. They could have your name spelled wrong online. You could also check with the Clerk of the court in which the alleged incident took place to see if they had anything. The attorney that got your information may have subscribed to a service that monitors new charges/lawsuits so it is possible that Case Search is not completely up to date. I know it is frustrating.

Well I recived my summons today.. I need to find a lawyer.. How much trouble do you think I am in? Any idea? I have not contacted my parole officer what happen's if I don't untill I see a lawyer.. Thanks

Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr

I am sorry about the summons, but at least now you know the situation. You definitely need to get an attorney to defend the charge. No one can tell you the expected outcome without knowing all of the facts surrounding this incident and it is best not to post details on AVVO since this is a public forum. You will need to speak with your attorney in Delaware (if you had one) about whether you need to contact your Probation Officer.

Well thank you for all your help Mr. Scherr. I did not have a lawyer in De. I just plead guilty and got probation before judgment. So I guess I would need a lawyer in Md to help me with this and find out from him if I need or should contact De.. I am sooo stupid and done with every dealing with this end of the law..

Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr

Your welcome. I have no doubt that this will never happen again.

Hi again, I have another question maybe you can help. I did see a lawyer I have a summons to appear Nov 5, He says he doesn't need to go to this ,.. He also said I needed to get a lawyer in de for the breaking probation charge. I called my parole officer and he had a recording he will be away till next week and not to leave a message. He said if you need additional help to call and speak to another level 1 officer. I called and they sent me to a different officer but he only had voice mail. I left all information but have not received a return call. Should I call again or wait till next week to call my officer? What do you think will happen when they finally contact me? Will I have to go see him and then get a court date? How fast is this prossess ? I need to find a lawyer but I have no money. I make around 2,500 a month and my mortgage is 1100.. So can hardly make ends meet now..I think I still make to much for a PD.. I am so stressed I dont know what they will do to me. I declared bankrupsy this year and almost lost my house, I qualified for a HAMP and it went in very quickly and had to give them the money right away in Aug. That is why I did what I did ( it was food that was taken ) not that this is an excuse.. I just don't know how to get money for a lawyer.. I know I need one.

Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr

Unfortunately, I cannot advise you on the Delaware situation since I am not licensed to practice law there. You would need to consult with a Delaware attorney there. I do not know what the procedures are in Delaware, but the Parole Officer may notify the judge that you have violated your probation and a hearing may be scheduled. The Public Defender takes almost everybody these days if you cannot afford a private attorney. You must go there at least 10 business days before the trial so I would go right away. Your other option is to get other quotes to see if another attorney might be more reasonable.

Thank you again. In Md I looked it up and with a family of 4 you have to make less then 1000.00 a month.. To get a PD.. I know you said you don't practice law in De.. But what happens most of the time when you go to a hearing in front of a judge for this? Fine you? And do you have to pay that right away or go to jail? I am sorry for all these questions but I have no idea what is store for me. I wish I could find a lawyer that practiced in De & Md.... I understand what ever help you can give me is just in general due to not knowing the De laws but any conjecture at this point will help me. Regards

Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr

No problem! You have trust me when I say that the Public Defender will most likely represent you despite what you have read. Just go in there with the information they need. You have nothing to lose! I cannot tell you what will happen in Delaware. In Maryland, there would be a hearing to determine whether you had violated your probation and the judge could keep the original sentence, reinstate a guilty finding if you got a PBJ, or give you jail time. You really need to speak with a Delaware attorney about this.

An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.