Skip to main content

I got denied a public defender and i cannot afford a lawyer. What else can I do?

Martinsburg, WV |

I got a first offense DUI last month and i recently got denied for a public defender because of my savings account (which i started because i have been working every single day to save for the fine I am sure i will be getting). The lowest lawyer i can find is ranging from 4-6 grand and i just cant afford that at all. Do i get a court appointed attorney the day of court? I just don't want to show up looking like i don't care about this charge but i simply don't have the funds for a lawyer.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Contact the local Bar Association (an organization for lawyers) in your county. Most Bar Associations operate a lawyer referral service. They might be able to refer you to an affordable attorney. The fees you mention sound rather high unless you are seeking to take your case all the way to trial. You may also want to ask the attorneys you've spoken to if their fee might be lower if you settle your case without going to a jury trial.

San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney--19 years experience. Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy


Most attorneys will do a payment play with you. If you can't afford an attorney and you can't get a public defender the only thing you can do is defend yourself. That said, most people aren't up for that job and plead guilty, but what else can you do?

I am licensed attorney who focuses on Serious DUI Cases such a 2nd DUIs, 3rd DUIs, 4th DUIs, and Felony DUIs and DMV hearings. I also have much experience handling car accident cases. Although the information I provide is helpful, it is not legal advice. If your case is in California or Washington, you can call me for specific legal advice on your case free of charge. Although Avvo makes it clear to consumers that attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship, some attorneys prefer to add their own disclaimers to answers. You can set your custom disclaimer here and it will be automatically added to your answers. Do NOT include any direct solicitations or contact information.


Please give my office a call to discuss your case. I handle cases in the Eastern Panhandle and would be more than happy to discuss things with you. You can reach me at 304-551-0762.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer