Skip to main content

I got caught stealing about 60$ worth of stuff from walmart I just started a new job and I worried that I will get fired

Pittsburgh, PA |

I was stupid and stole about 60$ worth of stuff from Walmart and the cops came and
Gave me a summon is my job in jeopardy

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Plead not guilty and retain a criminal defense attorney who will attempt to resolve the case without a theft conviction.


You need to hire a criminal defense attorney in your area ASAP to defend you. There may be options to avoid a theft conviction. Could it affect your employment, yes.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


If this is a first offense it will be a summary offense. Nonetheless, you should plead not guilty and hire an attorney to represent you. you do not want a theft conviction on your record. It will seriously hamper your ability to be employed.


The simple answer is yes. Your job could be in jeopardy, though just how much discretion your employer has to fire you depends on the terms of your employment (for example - whether you are an "at will" employee or a collective bargaining employee). Your job may be in particular danger if the pending charge results in a conviction for a theft offense. Many employers look at theft convictions in a particularly negative light and can be reluctant to keep someone on the payroll who has a criminal history for theft. You need to hire a local defense attorney immediately. Your attorney should be able to help you explore whether you have options to resolve the case without a conviction.

This answer is provided is for informational purposes only. It is intended to provide general information and does not create an attorney-client relationship with me or my law office. Nothing here should be relied upon as legal advice, and only an attorney with knowledge of your specific case can give you advice as to how the law applies. Nothing in this response creates an attorney-client relationship and therefore these communications cannot be treated as privileged or confidential.


Hire an attorney. Especially if this is your first offense, he or she can guide you through this so you have no conviction.


Plead not guilty and hire a criminal defense attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer