Skip to main content

I got asylum approval on July 2012 I am applying soon for GC But what if I get married dose it take shorter to get US citize

Costa Mesa, CA |

I might get married soon
is it possible to replace the green card
If yes are they going to count the whole year I spent in asylum on the new GC
Or they just will count three years from the day of marriage ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


When you apply to adjust your status to legal permanent resident, you will receive your green card valid for 10 years. The issuance date is backdated to the day your asylee status was granted.

You may qualify for naturalization after three years if the following requirements are met: 1) you have been a permanent resident (green card holder) for at least 3 years; 2) Have been married with the same U.S. citizen spouse during such time; and 3) Meet all other eligibility requirements.

You should consult with an immigration attorney to work out the specifics of your case.


If you apply based on your asylee status, you can already do so. If you will do so through marriage, you would first need to get married, then prove to the immigration your good-faith marriage, and also attend the interview together, so the process is definitely longer. Once you have your green card, and you marry and remain married to the same spouse for three years, you may apply for citizenship based on the three years, instead of five. I highly recommend you seek experienced immigration lawyer to assist you with your adjustment of status.

Follow Gintare Grigaite, Esq. on Facebook (search for Gintare Grigaite, Esq.). Contact immigration lawyer Gintare Grigaite, Esq. of Grigaite & Abdelsayed, LLC at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey, for a consultation about your immigration case. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


I agree with my colleagues.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.