Skip to main content

I got arrested for a drug offense and am debating whether going to court or do the program. it was less then a gram. do what??

Orlando, FL |
Attorney answers 4


You want to talk to a lawyer before doing anything. Sometimes the programs are harder than a sentence you'd get with a withhold of adjudication. You may also have some defenses to the case. A lawyer can attend court for you, speak to the prosecutor and counsel you on a possible resolution to your case. I handle these matters and offer a free consultation if you'd like to discuss it. Have you already attended arraignment?

You can get a free consultation on this matter by calling 407-617-1064. Please understand that the information given is not to be construed as legal advice. More information would be needed in order to make a more accurate legal determination on your matter. Furthermore, an attorney-client relationship does not begin until a retainer agreement has been signed by the attorney and client.


Your case is ripe for diversion (a State owned and operated program which is designed to make you think twice about future criminality by way of making you jump through a series of proverbial hoops during a period of supervision, successful completion of which results in a dismissal) but the question is whether or not diversion is the right choice for you in this case. There may or may not be viable defenses to the charges, affirmative or otherwise, or there may be factual, legal, procedural or substantive mechanisms by which to attack and beat the charges without going through diversion.

The best way for you to get competent advise is going to be to have a face-to-face meeting with a criminal defense lawyer who can follow-up on your information with questions of her/his own, as well as review the police reports and citations and then offer an informed opinion.

Although I practice primarily in Miami-Dade County you are welcome to contact my office for a referral or two, or you can search do a location search here on Avvo or you can search the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers website by locality (please see - and click on the "Find A Lawyer" tab).

Either way, best of luck!

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)


Realistically, none of us can tell you what to do based on this amount of information. Whatever it would cost you to retain counsel is going to be well worth it in the long run.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.


It sounds like your case is in juvenile court. A program might be easier than probation (called community control in juvenile). It is your call!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer