Skip to main content

I got an HTV/Felony and was needing to get some type of license to drive to work, is this possible? I got it in 2011

Columbus, IN |

Under Indiana law (I.C. 9-30-10-16), an individual who has been adjudged to be a habitual traffic violator (HTV), and is later convicted of driving while HTV, may have his/her driving privileges suspended for life. According to our records, you were convicted of driving while HTV, and your driving privileges were suspended for life on 09-12-11. An individual whose driving privileges are suspended for life, and who meets all of the necessary qualifications, may petition the court in the county in which he/she resides, for a rescission of order and reinstatement of driving privileges under I.C. 9-30-10-14. You may wish to contact an attorney for assistance.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You will not be eligible for reinstatement for 3yrs or 10yrs, if at all. It depends on your circumstances and prior convictions.
You can look these statutes up at
to determine if and when you would qualify.

This response is meant to provide general information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship.


In the state of Indiana there exist different types of "habitual" drivers license suspensions. If you have one major moving violation such as Operating While Intoxicated, Reckless Driving. etc and nine "minor" moving violations such as speeding tickets within a ten year period, your license will be suspended for five years as a minor habitual offender. In such a circumstance you could petition for a probationary license for work purposes once any court ordered suspension is concluded.

If on the other hand you have accumulated three major moving violations in Indiana within a ten year period you would suffer from a mandatory ten year driver's license suspension seperate from the court. In such a circumstance you would have to wait for five years without a driving offense before petitioning the court for a probationary license for work.

If declared a lifetime offender as one who has driven after being declared a habitual offender, the license of the person in question is suspended for life. However, if ten years elapse with no driving offense the individual may petition for a probationary license at that point.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer