Skip to main content

I got an annulment, do I need some sort of proof of that for my next marriage?

Estes Park, CO |

I know that I have heard that an annulment erases the marriage. But for the K1 visa for my fiance I need proof that I am single and available to be married. Do I need some sort of proof from the annulment or is it truly an erased marriage?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You will likely need the decree of invalidity (or similar court order) attesting to the annulment of your prior marriage.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.


Yes, you do

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Yes, you will need proof that the marriage was anulled.

Avvo doesn't remunerate me for this response, and I'm only offering limited advice based on the few facts given me in your question. I am not your lawyer solely because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me or are interested in a low cost or free consultation, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. It's impossible to fully evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.


Yes you should and you should also disclose the fact that you were previously married on any relevant immigration forms.