I got a warrant and got arrested for not completing my traffic school but i did,what should i do? i have a court hearing on 22nd

San Mateo, CA |

the warrant was for not completing a traffic school on 9/1/2012, but i did complete it on 8/4/2012. i havent called my traffic school because i know one of them messed it up. first they put my case under "2nd offender program" but its my 1st time. i remembered they said they fixed it and now i got arrested for this. i think that was the reason, what should i do? i need a lawyer and ill sue my traffic school too , i dont wanna tell them about it and fix it. i got arrested in front of my house for someone else's error.

my roommate called cops on my bf and i was the witness for their fight, no one got arrested but me, i think they searched everyone's record and found that i have a warrant, i did not know at all that i have that warrant because i really finished my traffic school, the cops were in the roommate's side, they couldve just given me a ticket but they arrested me.

Not completing traffic school isn't an offence for which a warrant can issue. I suspect there's more to your story. Get an attorney to help figure it out.

Mr. Feasel is a former prosecutor in San Mateo County (CA) with over 10 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney/client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Feasel to further investigate your situation, feel free to contact him thru this site.

Tina Marie Barberi

Tina Marie Barberi

Are you talking about DUI school? This would explain why a warrant was issued. Contact the school and/or court and take your paperwork with you to court.

You need to discuss this with a competent criminal defense attorney ASAP. I assume you have written proof that you complied with all the conditions of traffic school ( paid receipt and attendance forms and certificate of completion, etc.). Get a lawyer to review the case file records and traffic school records. I'd concern myself with defending the case rather than suing someone. Deal with the urgent issue first.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Something is missing from your story. The police generally do not actively pursue warrants for failing to complete traffic school. 99% of the time, the person is dealing with the police for something else (pulled over for some reason and the police run a check). Furthermore, I haven't seen a case where someone is then arrested for not completing traffic school unless they are being particularly difficult with the police.
If the story is as you say it, it would seem that merely showing the court proof of completion of the traffic school would correct your problem.
As far as suing your traffic school, I would consult with a civil attorney in your area. It might be hard to prove that the school messed something up.

my roommate called the cops for my BF because they were fighting and i was the witness for my bf, my bf didnt get arrested and i DID. because they said i got a warrant for $3000 in my DUI, they didnt even know exactly what it was because i had no idea i have a warrant. well, i have everything to prove that i did complete the traffic school. im sure the judge will drop charges and all, i just dont know what to do about suing the school, this is the 2nd time that they messed up on my records, when i called the mandatory line to confirm that i finished they said "you dont have 1st offender but the 6 months in their file and they told me to call traffic school and change it. i called traffic school and they apologized and changed right away. i think this is why they messed up again. im furious for getting arrested for someone else's fault. thank you for replying

Thomas Joseph Baker

Thomas Joseph Baker

Then this question is more about a civil law suit than your criminal problems. My previous advice stands, contact a civil attorney in your local area. Most will do a free consultation and tell you if they think you have a case. If you need help finding one, try contacting your county's bar association (https://www.smcba.org/) and asking for a referral. Get your criminal issues cleared up ASAP, they will not go away on their own, and your situation appears to be an easy fix. Good luck.

I agree that not failinig to complete traffic school does not cause one to be arrested. Perhaps there may have been a failure to appear at court on an unrelated case?

Both Mr. Feasel and Mr. Mascagni are correct. It is odd that you were arrested for not completing driving school. The remedy is going to court and showing proof of completion. The traffic school may offer to refund your fees if indeed this was the reason you were picked up. I advise you to get counsel to review both matters on a free consultation basis.