Skip to main content

I got a traffic violation ticket for the first time. I was upset and I have no idea what I can do. Please advise.

Philadelphia, PA |

I got a traffic violation ticket on highway in VA on September 8, 2013 . I have PA drivers license and currently living in Memphis, TN. This happened when I was heading to Memphis, TN from Philadelphia, PA for the relocation. The ticket describes my violation as reckless driving by speed 83/70. It says "You are summoned to appear in the county of Botetourt general district court (Traffic) on October 23, 2013, at 9 am. The officer advised me to come to the court. However the violation ticket mentions I may avoid coming to the court. In addition, it also says "only call 540.473.8244 if more help is needed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You could always hire a lawyer to appear and fight the ticket for you.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


You should contact a traffic attorney in that county. Some courts will let your lawyer appear for you. I would not just pay guilty until you know what the ramifications are. Good luck


Since this is something that happened in VA, you may want to re-post this under the Speeding Ticket Section in VA. As Attorney Klein & Attorney Solis suggested, you should consult with an Attorney licensed to practice in VA to learn what options you have.

Responses provided by Joseph A. Paletta, Esq., and the members of this lawfirm are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as providing legal advice regarding an individual situation. No attorney-client relationship is created by answering this question. 412.391.7999


You can fight the ticket or plead guilty. If you fight the ticket you will need to appear to present your case. If you plead guilty it will affect your driving record.

This response is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The response is intended, but not promised or guaranteed to be current, complete, or up-to-date. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between Mark D. Copoulos, Esquire and any party. The responses provided on this website are offered only for general informational and educational purposes. They are not offered as and do not constitute legal advice or legal opinions. You should not act or rely on any information contained in these responses without first seeking the advice of an attorney.


This ticket can have serious ramifications for your PA license, including a potential 6 month suspension. (In PA, Reckless driving convictions leads to a 6 month suspension of your driving privileges. It is my belief that PennDOT will issue a suspension (even though it might not be appropriate) if and when they find out about an out of state Reckless driving conviction. If you have moved permanently to Memphis, then you probably should apply for a Tennessee license well prior to the court date. I would highly recommend fighting the ticket and hiring a lawyer in VA to help you.