Skip to main content

I got a third DUI in LA county, i was booked and processed in LA County Jail and mistakenly used a false name. What should i do?

Los Angeles, CA |
Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

I suggest you speak to an attorney first, and wait till you go to court. In most cases the attorney can provide your true name to the court without any major problems. A Third DUI carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 120 days.

This answer does not create an attorney client relationship.



Thank you for the helpful information, i have had an attorney for my past 2 dui charges, he was not helpful at all. This time i might have to retain a public defender. Theres so many factors with this case (b.a.c levels are not noted on my ticket)

Carlos Cristobal Ruan

Carlos Cristobal Ruan


Given the possibility of incarceration in third DUI, I strongly suggest you do retain an experienced DUI attorney. Feel free to contact my office if you have any additional questions. If you cannot afford your own attorney the public defenders office is a good option.


You should contact AND retain DUI counsel immediately. Your sentence will depend on a number of factors, now of which are mentioned in your question except for the fact it is a 3rd DUI.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Wait for court, but I agree you should contact and retain counsel well in advance.

Contributions on in no way create an attorney-client relationship nor are they intended to be relied upon as a course of action without having first consulted directly with an attorney, where the specific facts and circumstances of your case can be fully discussed.


If you can afford an attorney, you should hire one. If you can't, you should go to court and seek the services of the public defender. This type of matter should not be discussed further in a public forum. Giving a false name that could result in the prosecution of another person can be charged as a felony. Not sure what kind of mistake was made. The jail has your fingerprints, so if you have any identification or prior jail contact with fingerprints, your identity can be established. The jail that you are looking at for a third DUI depends on a number of circumstances, incluidng wether you are on probation for any of the priors. Many attorneys, judges, and district attorneys are not aware of provisions of the vehcile code that allow for a 30 day minimum jail sentence with a 30 month alcohol program. I have obtained this for clients. It usually involves a process of educating the courts and district attorneys, together with getting the client into treatment in advance of their court date, so that there is justification for leniency.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer