Skip to main content

I got a speeding ticket and a parking violation ticket ( they towed my car I got it back) from Canada

Bellmore, NY |
Attorney answers 3


I assume there may be repercussions if you tried to drive in or go back to Canada. I havent heard of any situations where there was reciprocal reporting between Canada and NY. You can check with DMV after a couple of months and get an abstract of your driving record, to see if it appears. I doubt it will. I think abstracts can be ordered online now too.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website


New York has reciprocity with a few other states but I have never heard of reciprocity with a foreign country. That said, its never a good idea to ignore a ticket. I suggest you use the internet and find a traffic court attorney in the part of Canada where this took place. While I have no knoweldege of Canadian law, it is possible that your failing to respond to the ticket could result in either a warrant for your arrest and/or a civil judgment against you, which could be picked up by a credit reporting agency. You don't want any problems or nasty surprises if you try to cross into Canada in the future.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Again, I agree with the first answer offered. However, I have been having clients who called me about not being able to renew their licenses within the states in another state. While it took a long time for the states to coordinate between themselves, there is no way of telling how long it will take for the US and Canada to do the same. I suggest you take care of them.

Good luck.

You may call our office at 516-248-6600 or send an email to us at This answer does not form an attorney/client relationship with anyone and any answers do not constitute direct legal advice and should not be followed unless and until you have spoken with an attorney of your choice.