Skip to main content

I got a son and he is disabled , he was diagnosis with cerebral palsy

Austin, TX |

my question is if i can qualify to legalize my status in this country , i am here illegal .he is 16 yrs old , and he was born in here , and i have 19 years here.thanks for you attention .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


More information is needed to accurately answer your question. Your son will not be able to petition for you until he is 21. However you may or may not be able to apply for permanent residence but more info in needed on you immigration history. If you are ever placed in removal proceedings (God forbid), you can apply for cancellation of removal based on your years and the hardship to your son.

You should speak to an experienced immigration attorney about all your options.


You are most likely eligible for a green card if you are in removal proceedings before an immigration judge through a process called cancellation of removal. You cannot have any convictions that make you removable or inadmissible, you must have been in the US for more than ten years, have been a person of good moral character and also have a qualifying family member whose life would be severely impacted if you were not allowed to stay in the US. You should consult with an immigration attorney.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


The issue is whether he will suffer exceptional & extremely unusual hardship as a matter of law and discretion if you must leave the U. S.

I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney as soon as possible. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


There is no program that allows that. If you were in removal proceedings you could seek a relief from removal called cancelation of removal which, if granted, does lead to a green card and is directly correlated to your son's condition. Consult with an immigration attorney for more information.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.