Skip to main content

I got a hit and haven't negotiated about how to pay for damage yet. But, the other person's license has been expired.

San Diego, CA |

Hi, I got hit by a car from behind about 2 weeks ago(around 10th) and needed to get cost estimate to repair the car. (the other person does not want to use his insurance.) But, a thing is that I have not had time to go to body shop yet and have found that his driver license has been expired in 16th. Can I still charge for the cost?

+ Read More

Filed under: Government law
Attorney answers 2


Yes. You should have an estimate as soon as possible and ask the other driver to pay your bill.


Just because the other driver’s license expired does not mean that they do not have insurance. Get 2 estimates and see if they will pay. If not, then turn over to your insurance for uninsured motorist’s coverage. They will pay for the repairs, minus your deductible, and then go after the other driver for repayment.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer