Skip to main content

I got a dui in August (Oregon) and plan on moving to the state of Washington, does my license suspensions still apply?

Portland, OR |

I got a dui and plan on completing all necessary court requirements before I move. I have a one year suspension on my license although I can apply for a hard workship permit. After that one year suspension period, I must install a Breathalyzer for 1 year. If I move to Washington during my 1st year period (March to July), do I still need to install a Breathalyzer and obtain a workship permit in the state of Washington?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your suspension would definitely transfer. States have a compact to prevent people from moving around to avoid suspension or going to other states to get drivers licenses. Whether you would qualify for a provisional license in Washington or they would require you to get an Interlock as a condition of that license depends on the laws in Washington. I would contact a DWI attorney who practices in the county you are moving to. They will be able to help you.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


There is an interstate compact in effect between many of the states which allows them to share driver's license information. You need to seek out an experienced dui attorney in Washington to determine what steps you are going to have to take to be able to drive legally.

This communication is neither a solicitation nor an offer to represent you. The information provided to you in this communication is not intended to create and does not create a lawyer-client relationship with the Law Office of Daniel A. Jimenez P.C.


First, if you're on probation you must ASK the court for permission to leave the state. Second, out of state drivers are not eligible for an Oregon hardship permit. You should call a good DUII lawyer now -- preferably one licensed in both states.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer