Skip to main content

I got a Disorderly Conduct Ticket in Hudson County NJ and need to know how to go about dealing with it

Secaucus, NJ |

I got a Ticket from a NJ transit officer on a train in Secaucus for trying to pee out of the train in between cars, what I thought was going to be a public urination ticket turned out to be a disorderly conduct ticket which I have never heard of before and would like to know how to go about dealing with it. Should I just pay it, am I able to represent myself in such matters, would it even be worth fighting, and what are some possible repercussions of just paying such a ticket.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


disorderly conduct is a criminal charge that would be on your record for at least five years until you can expunge it. Legally, it is arguable if your actions constitute disorderly conduct, so it is worth hiring a lawyer to fight the charge and/or work to get a downgrade to a municipal ordinance or administrative violation that is not a criminal offense.


You can't pay a disorderly conduct summons - it is a petty disorderly persons offense ( misdemeanor). You face 30 days jail? $500 fine, or both. A conviction will result in a criminal record. I wouldn't fight this alone. Things can be done about in in Secaucus but you need a lawyer.

Any answers I provide should not be construed as legal advice; they are meant to educate the reader. Additionally, this answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you would like to discuss your case further, please feel free to contact me at


You are entitled to represent yourself, but with this type of charge is it best to be represented by an attorney.


It would be worth your while to hire a lawyer to defend you for this. There are lesser changes to which you can plead and which would mitigate the damage to you record. Schedule a consultation with a lawyer.

The Murray Law Firm
50 Harrison Street, Suite 310F
Hoboken, NJ 07030-6151
T: (201)875-2600
Facebook: (Follow by clicking the "Like" button")

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:


I would try, yourself or with an attorney to downgrade the charge.