Skip to main content

I got a deportation order from 2004 Texas I trying to adjust my status should I motion to reopen?

Colchester, CT |
Attorney answers 3


If you have an outstanding order of removal (deportation) you will not be able to simply file for adjustment of status. Meet with an attorney to determine whether your case is currently on appeal or can otherwise be reopened

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104



How would cost for a motion to reopen


You cannot simply file a motion to reopen 9 years after being ordered deported. Better consult with an experienced immigration attorney before you get yourself deported.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You can only request reopening of your case on a joint motion unless it is an in absentia order and you recently found out about your order. You better consult with a lawyer for a review of your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer