Skip to main content

I got a 4th degree dwi in mn I am from wi I had a perfect driving record before hand what is likely to happen

Duluth, MN |
Attorney answers 5


The refusal charge carries a max penalty of 1 year in jail and or a $3000 fine. Because you refused testing you will lose your driving privileges in MN for 1 year. You only have 30 days to file a challenge to this revocation otherwise it will remain on your driving record and WI will find our about it. You need to consult with an experienced DWI attorney without delay. Good luck.

This is not intended as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship exists because of this response.


I think it's pretty simple. You have two great DWI attorneys in the state of Minnesota, and they dun a great DUI defense firm. Mr. Meaney or Mr. Patrin ought to get a call from you! They are regulars on this board and are excellent advocates!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Ethan Patrick Meaney

Ethan Patrick Meaney


Thank you for the kind words.


Wisconsin doesn't treat first time DWI charges as criminal offenses, but Minnesota does. Minnesota also has the test refusal crime, which is a gross misdemeanor. These are serious charges that you need to fight to try to preserve your clean record. Don't assume that your charges can't be beaten or reduced. Consult with an experienced DWI attorney today like Mr. Meaney or myself.


You are facing two criminal charges, plus a DL suspension. There may be defenses to your case, but that depends on the specific facts. In all likelihood, you are looking at probation in the criminal cased as a first time offender. However, you should consult privately with an attorney prior to taking any plea offer.

The DL suspension is handled as a civil case and can be fought; however, you only have 30 days to challenge in writing, so time is of the essence.

I hope you find this information helpful. I wish you the best of luck.

Andrew Leone


Hello. Your refusal to test (a gross misdemeanor in and of itself) likely has serious consequences for you. You must challenge the revocation of your driving privileges within the requisite time frame. You should seek attorney assistance with no delay. There are typically a multitude of negative collateral consequences to DWI-DUI.

Minnesota licensed attorney

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer