Skip to main content

I get married and need to apply for green card

Charlotte, NC |

my brother had apply for me for green card before 10 years and I have become answer that I need to wait because I am not a priority, I have come in US in June last year like visitor and now I get married, my wife is US citizen, have US passport, and now want to apply for me to get green card.
will I have problems because I have process on my brother ?
second question, what application I need to fill, do I need to go on medical examination, and how much will that cost and how long will I wait for green card?
when will I get social security number?

thanks in advance

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


There are some complications here which is best discussed with an experienced immigration attorney.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


There are some concerns about how you managed to get a visitors visa and whether there may be a misrepresentation with the visa application. In general, if you lawfully entered the U. S. as a visitor, then you can file for review for adjustment of status.

You will need to get a medical exam with a USCIS certified civil surgeon. You will need to pay at least $1490, perhaps more if you are required to file for a waiver. You may get a social security number if you are issued an employment authorization card. Finally, none of us really knows how long it will take to process, and whether you may be approved without more information.

I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney based upon the limited information provided. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


Generally speaking, having more than one application pending should not be a problem on its own. However, as my colleagues suggested, you should consult with a competent Immigration attorney for a more complete assessment of your facts and case.

[This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]


You may have some issues. You should obtain professional assistance.


You should speak with an attorney as there could be issues regarding misrepresentation in order to obtain the visiting visa as well as immigrant intent.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


I agree with my colleagues.